The Harvest Festival
Join the ABAA Virtual Book Fair: Boston Edition for an exploration into the first Harvest Festival!
From what happened on the first Thanksgiving, to what they ate, and how it became the basis for the modern holiday, join Heidi Herr, Librarian for English, Philosophy, and Special Collections Student Engagement at Johns Hopkins Sheridan Libraries, for an exploration into the first Harvest Festival.
Moderator: ABAA HQ
Ticknor Society Collectors’ Round Table: The World of Edward Gorey
The ABAA Virtual Book Fair: Boston Edition and The Ticknor Society present a panel discussion focused on Cape Cod-based artist, illustrator, author, and publisher Edward Gorey.
This year’s participants are Edward Gorey House Curator Gregory Hischak, Gorey collector and book artist Patrice Miller, and Christine von der Linn, Director of Illustration Art at Swann Auction Galleries, New York.
Moderator: Shannon Struble, Ticknor Society
- Gregory Hischak is a writer, performer, and book artist, who also serves as the Director and Curator of the Edward Gorey House in Yarmouth Port, MA. He has been gathering Gorey-related materials and creating new exhibits for the House since 2014. The current exhibition is titled “Hapless Children: Drawings from Mr. Gorey’s Neighborhood” and is on view through December 31st. Learn more at edwardgoreyhouse.org.
- Patrice Miller is Proprietrix of Aredian Press, a bookbinder and Gorey collector. Introduced to his work in high school, Patrice Miller was immediately taken with Edward Gorey’s humor and his skill. Gorey’s work struck her as both honest and irreverent – a perfect match for a teenager’s sensibilities. Nearly fifty years later, her family’s Gorey collection reflects her continued fascination. After retirement from federal service, Patrice took up bookbinding and created her own imprint, Aredian Press, in 2016. With authorization from the Edward Gorey Charitable Trust, she has published two Gorey first editions: The Mourning Fan and the Worsted Monster. She plans to bind or rebind every one of Gorey’s primary works. Patrice serves on the board of the Edward Gorey House, promoting his legacy and his animal welfare causes.
- Christine von der Linn is the Director of Illustration Art and a 25-year veteran of the Book Department at Swann Auction Galleries, New York, the largest specialist auctioneer of Works on Paper in the world. She is also proud to be a head specialist for Swann’s groundbreaking sales celebrating the cultural contributions of the LGBTQ+ community. Christine has written about, lectured, and moderated panel discussions on rare books, illustration, and cartoons, but especially loves discussing her favorite area of expertise, Edward Gorey. In addition to handling several private collections of Gorey books and ephemera, her department has offered more original artwork of his than any other auction house.
Pandemics: Personal Accounts & Printed Materials
Join the ABAA Virtual Book Fair: Boston Edition for an exploration into pandemics through personal narratives and printed materials.
Moderator: ABAA HQ
- Russell Johnson is the Curator for History & Special Collections for the Sciences at the UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library
- Kiley Samz is a Rare Book Specialist at Rootenberg Rare Books & Manuscripts, among the leaders in the fields of science, medicine, technology and natural history.